Friday, October 12, 2012

Hipster Foodtacular

I made jam AND kale chips last week.  I think I must be turning into a hipster behind my own back!

I just got done telling my friend Gina that I wasn't sure if making jam was worth it.  For a boring flavor like peach, it's a lot of sticky hot time in the kitchen to just net seven jars of jam.  BUT, I might take it back.  See, the husband got me a canning label kit for my birthday, and damn if that thing did not make me feel pleased as punch about my jam.  (Thanks husband!)
Bam!  Oh the cuteness!
Cath Kidson, you complete me.  Or at least make me feel better about seven jars of jam.  I'm not going to publish the recipe here because just remembering how much sugar it takes to make seven jars of jam is a little scary, but I use the Ball Blue Book and I recommend it.

Kale chips however, I'm going to tell you exactly how I make those.  Because holy cats, it is SO easy and I know I can't be the only person on the planet who A.) can never figure out what to do with the kale from the CSA bin and B.) doesn't actually like the taste of kale unless it is disguised as something else.  In this case, kale will star in the role of salty, salty deliciousness.

First, get your kale, peel the light green stalk off and chop it into rough bite-size morsels.
Arrange the kale in a (more or less) single layer on the cookie sheet.  Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and toss with two forks to coat. 
Roast in a 350 degree oven for ten minutes, tossing with the forks halfway through to ensure evenness.  Cook until the morsels are looking brown around the edges and a sample piece sort of crunches and dissolves on your tongue without having to chew.  If it still tastes like kale, you're not done yet.  If it tastes like salty amazingness, pull it!

Key point: do NOT keep these in a Tupperware!  Keep them in an open bowl or they will lose crispness.  Not even fruit flies will eat kale, so nothing to lose by keeping them on the counter. 

Thanks for listening through Hipster Food 101.  Next up, how to make kombucha from sweaty socks!  Just kidding!!  Kale was adventurous enough, I'm staying away from fermentation.

3 comments:

  1. "Not even fruit flies will eat kale"

    Classic! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I love kale! And kombucha! Does that make me a hipster?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post was s ideal and delightful. I will recommend your blog to my friend. I will try also that foodtacular at home . Thank you.

    ReplyDelete