Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween, For Reals

This was one of the best Halloween's ever.  Mostly because the MOLDING is done and we're back in our bedroom.  (Which makes me so happy nothing short of a nuclear holocaust could dent my good mood.  OK, that might be a skotche of hyperbole, but just a skotche.)  But more about that later. 

First, the Halloween report.  I didn't take nearly as many pictures as I should have (you know you're having fun when you forget to take pictures.)  We had a couple people over to watch the trick-or-treaters, eat some food and make s'mores!  The trick-or-treaters were a little thin this year, but the ones we did have were super cute.  The food for our little shindig turned out delicious! 

Before the party I made some caramel apples.  (No, I did not make the caramel from scratch.  I'm crazy but not that crazy.)  But did you know that every fall of my life Kraft has included popsicle sticks in the bags of caramels?  Specifically so that America can enjoy its caramel apples.  This year?  NO STICKS. What the hale??  I made do with some fun (and totally seasonally-inappropriate) pastel chopsticks.
Don't those apples look great?   They're from my hometown where fruit grows on trees.  Crazytalk.  They look pretty good natural but they'll look even better robed in caramel!
Yum!!  Also got out some cider, a bowl of mini apples, a giant plate of s'more makings
What else do you need for a party??  Not much!  I figured after sending my guests into sugar shock I should provide some real food, so I made butternut squash soup too.
After we warmed up with some soup, we made s'mores in the back yard on our awesome borrowed firepit.  First time we've ever actually used it but it was awesome and made the party feel very fall-esque.  After some s'mores, the guests really started to cut loose. 
Everyone needs a cocktail, even Minnie.  As for our little family...
Meet Captain Haddock, Tintin and Snowy!  (Or Capitaine Haddock, Tintin and Milou if you're a French purist.  Photo courtesy of our friend Stacy who had us over on Saturday night.)  Snowy got partially cut off in this photo, but we had him mounted to a skateboard. Which worked like a charm!  For reals, I'm having a rolling prop for every Halloween!  
Here's Snowy ready for his close-up.  Looking good Snowy!  Best sidekick ever!  So obedient!  (It's amazing what two pieces of foamcore and a Sharpie can do for your costume!)

Between the mulled wine, the amazing cheeses, the soup, s'mores and candy, I think a good time was had by all, even with a dearth of trick-or-treaters.  The Jack O' Lanterns didn't mind though.
 
They had a great time.  So from our little house to yours, Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment