Tuesday, June 28, 2011

#12 - The Girls Rock it Out

1. Host mah jongg night.
2. Make jam.
3. Host brunch. (Done!)
4. Go for a picnic.
5. Go grocery shopping on my bike.
6. Finish my year-end photo albums.
7. Take Fred to Lost Lake.
8. Rearrange the backyard.
9. Eat at the Space Needle.
10. Stay in bed all day.  (Done!)
11. <edited for privacy.>
12. Have a really girly slumber party.  (Done!)
13. Play a round of mini-golf. (Done!)
14. Get the craft room sorted and gorgeousified.
15. Go for a weekend in the San Juans. (Done!  Orcas at Memorial Day!)
16. Have an individual date with each NGS.
17. Go for a hike.
18. Plan and cook a week’s worth of dinners.
19. Go to Portland to see old friends.
20. Perfect a signature recipe (one slightly more nutritional than Bundt cake.)
21. Go to the drive-in movies.
22. Get a mani-pedi every month. (Done for Jan, Feb, March, April and May)
23. Go ice skating. (Done!  Colorado with the parentals!)
24. Find the perfect shade of lipstick.
25. Host a big tea party in the back yard.
26. Make a quilt top.
27. Take six dance classes of any kind. (THREE down.  Love the Little Red Hen.)
28. Ride on a Ferris wheel.  (Done!  Puyallup Spring Fair!)
29. Organize our finances and filing system.
        30. Plan an awesome 30th birthday party.

This might have been the most fun item on the whole 30 Before 30.  I knew that this one would probably be awesome, but it turned out even better than I had hoped.  A million thanks to all my fabulous ladies who came, I treasure snorting SoCo out my nose with you so much more than you can imagine.

So, #12 was "Host a Girly Slumber Party".  I sent out an evite, rented "the Parent Trap", and bought burgers and chips and adult beverages.  (A.K.A. It was a cinch, in case any of you are pondering hosting a girly slumber party in the near future.  Fear not the party of large prep, because this one is hostess kindergarten.)  The ladies came, toting sleeping bags, pjs and nail polish.  First order of business was to celebrate the fantastic porch!  I made peach frappes from a recipe I discovered in Better Homes and Gardens this month.  (When Better Homes prints a recipe that involves booze, you know it has to be good.  This one involves peaches, ice and Southern Comfort.  Getchasome!)  The new porch is fantastic.  It only has a temporary floor right now, so I haven't posted about it yet, but it is THE spot for relaxing in the evening.  I'm excited about it already. 
 From left to right, my fantabulous friends Libby, Sheila, Paula, Krystal and Mallory.  Not pictured are the fabulous 'Styne and Jill who rolled in as the second shift of party people.  


Next order of business was dinner, followed closely by nail painting, gossip, playing Apples to Apples and general hilarity.  For any gentlemen who may be reading this blog, this is what slumber parties look like.   

 
Rainbow of polish courtesy of Sheila.
Sheila is stoked to be getting her nails did!
 
My lovely friend Paula took most of these pictures, including the artistic color-select shot above, highlighting Krystal's toe separators.  They spell out "sexy".  I am pretty sure it is not possible to, in fact, BE sexy while wearing toe separators, but perhaps they are exhorting you to greater efforts.

I had some fantastically girly flowers for the occasion (which look oddly gothic on color-select, but were really lovely.)  Then some hilarity with shower caps ensued.  Yeah, search me.
 
Lovely, K-star, lovely beret.


Mal-dawg and K-star are crushing the shower cap fashions of '11, don't you think?

The real meat of this slumber party can really be summed up in the photos below.  I'm pretty sure Libby was recounting a story involving watermelon juice and coffee, but it doesn't really matter.  The point is that when girls get together, sometimes we laugh till we snort, and that is the good stuff. 
I mean really, what IS there to say about these?  They really speak for themselves.  I can't remember the last time I laughed until the tears rolled down my cheeks, but this time was amazing.  This laughing situation happened like three times that night, which is why I heart my girls AND I heart slumber parties.

After these photos, we played Apples to Apples, gossiped, had a topless pillow fight and stayed up giggling till 2.  (OK, we didn't really have a pillow fight, but I just had to throw a bone to any guys still reading.)  In the morning, we ate Bundt cake and bacon, and had mimosas on the back porch in the sunshine.  I was so busy having fun I totally forgot to take any pictures at all, so thanks to my amazing friend Miss Paula, who made sure at least part of the fun was immortalized.  Ladies, thank you so much for helping me make #12 a thing of legends, it was awesome.  Watermelon juice, pahahaha!



No comments:

Post a Comment