Well, for those of you that were hoping this would be a strict home-renovation blog, with plenty of details about sheetrock technique and hot tips for the perfect grout job...prepare to be disappointed. I'm veering off into more personal territory, which is probably good since home projects are in a lull right now. We're busy living in the house rather than working on it and that, my friends, is completely awesome.
So, I don't usually make New Year's resolutions. They seem made to be broken. Often they're based on improving yourself, which is wonderful, but often what I want for the new year is to have more fun, go crazy, etc. Making a New Year's resolution of "be more dissolute and drink lots" seems counter to the whole spirit of the thing. However this year, in July, I will turn 30. I decided to make a list of 30 things I want to accomplish before reaching the big day. The 30 before 30 concept is not new, but I like the idea of 30 little things that put together maybe get you a little closer to the life you want to be living. (Within reason, of course. I left things like "buy a chateau" and "get abs like Angelina" off the list.)
My 30 Before 30 list is as follows:
1. Host mah jongg night.
2. Make jam.
3. Host brunch.
4. Go for a picnic.
5. Go grocery shopping on my bike.
6. Finish my year-end photo albums.
7. Take Fred to Lost Lake.
8. Rearrange the backyard.
9. Eat at the Space Needle.
10. Stay in bed all day.
11. <edited for privacy.>
12. Have a really girly slumber party.
13. Play a round of mini-golf.
14. Get the craft room sorted and gorgeousified.
15. Go for a weekend in the San Juans.
16. Have an individual date with each NGS.
17. Go for a hike.
18. Plan and cook a week’s worth of dinners.
19. Go to Portland to see old friends.
20. Perfect a signature recipe (one slightly more nutritional than Bundt cake.)
21. Go to the drive-in movies.
22. Get a mani-pedi every month.
23. Go ice skating.
24. Find the perfect shade of lipstick.
25. Host a big tea party in the back yard.
26. Make a quilt top.
27. Take six dance classes of any kind.
28. Ride on a Ferris wheel.
29. Organize our finances and filing system.
30. Plan an awesome 30th birthday party.
So, it turns out I've actually been working on this list for a couple weeks and in the meantime, I've crossed one item off the list! Last week I hosted brunch, in honor of a dear friend who was home for a few short days. It was awesome. Look how adorable we are:
And more importantly, look how adorable the food was!
Oh cinnamon rolls and pork products, you had me at hello. So, I've crossed #3 off the list! Woot! I also had a mani-pedi and took a country dance lesson so I'm making in-roads on #22 and #27 as well. I'll keep you posted on my misadventures of mini-resolutions as I go. Wish me luck!